ABOUT THE FIRM
JC&A provides added value Retained Search and Consulting Solutions exclusively in this niche filling Executive level Corporate Communications, Digital / Social Media, Marketing Communications, Public Affairs, Investor Relations, and related posts nationally. Operating as a boutique for the past 20 years, the firm has a track record of 100% success, fulfilling the terms of every contract awarded to the company.
Ms. Cushman leads national search efforts ranging from Fortune 500 corporations to agencies and smaller companies. She approaches a search strategically with up-front, in-depth analysis of the company, the position and the candidate profile. She partners with her clients to bring a value-added perspective to the process. The firm focuses on the long term and expects to maintain ongoing relationships with both candidates and clients.
Consulting services relate to specific projects such as individual counseling in preparation for a major career shift and working with an individual through the offer (or conclusion) stage. It may involve agency evaluations, writing job descriptions, reference checking and screen semi-finalist candidates.
JUDITH CUSHMAN’S BLOG
I started a blog in the spring of 2017 about career issues for Communications Vice Presidents, leaders of departments and Senior Directors aspiring to those roles. With more than 30 years of experience filling these positions. I’ve interviewed, counseled and answered questions for thousands of outstanding and high potential professionals and wanted to share my insights and provide candid, unvarnished career advice, thinking there would be a lively exchange of questions from my readers. However, it turned out that my 3,500 subscribers and almost 4,000 LinkedIn connections were simply happy to read what I posted.
I also discovered that I couldn’t write a superficial short paragraph or two, that I had more to say about whatever topic I thought I should tackle. And, shortly after I began this effort, I discovered I could serialize practically any subject. The most complex and recent topic was about transitions and “Life after PR” where I told the story of 4 successful, senior executives. They made brave decisions, or at least non-traditional decisions, that led to successful career choices toward the end of their careers. It took almost a year of posts to describe their experiences and career paths.
To provide you with an easy way of reading about a topic that I serialized, I created the following in-depth articles, including my personal recent reflection about BLM. You can follow the link for each article to access a PDF for online viewing, printing or downloading.
- Life After PR Series – “Vicky’s Story” – How following her own instincts (not a plan with long term objectives) allowed her to achieve career success while balancing it with her home life.
- Life After PR Series – “Nathan’s Story” – How a passion for an industry turned into a top tier career track when all the right pieces fell into place. It wasn’t just luck.
- Life After PR Series – “Angela’s Story” – The profile of an exceptional woman, an entrepreneur, risk taker in the competitive space of high tech start-ups, who shares her perspective on success.
- Life After PR Series – “Greg’s Story” – Learn how “Greg” took a non-traditional career turn that led to choices he could never have imagined.
- A Walk in the Park, Covid-19 and Black Lives Matter – Why Now? Why did the country and the world explode over the clear injustice and death of one black man? – A personal reflection by Judith Cushman.
- Millennials – What could be so challenging about hiring millennials for a Social Media Leadership Role? How about giving up fun for serious management challenges? This article addresses what it takes for Millennials to transition into Social Media leadership positions.
- Fixing a Broken Corporate Search Process – compilation of 10 blog posts to help CCOs hire outstanding direct reports more efficiently.
- Negotiating an Offer – What are the key questions to ask about specific terms and benefits?
- Negotiating for a Win – How can negotiation for more money and benefits end up as a positive experience? These 9 blog posts should improve your negotiating skills so everyone wins.
- Resumes – Why are resumes so hard to get right? Here are 11 blog posts to help you create an effective resume.
- Annual Hiring Cycle – advice for planning a job search using the annual hiring cycle.
- Risk Factors in Transitions – advice for quantifying and calculating the risk factors in considering a job offer.
- Compensation Series – advice for analyzing and documenting your total compensation package.
- The “Ah-Ha” About Resumes – advice on resumes for Managers transitioning to EVPs.
- How can you write a “C” level resume about the intangibles that make you an “A” level candidate? – advice on resumes directed specifically to VPs.
If you are interested in reading individual posts, you can use the following links to view all posts about a specific topic or in a series.
- Effective Resume Writing
- How to Reduce Risk in Career Transitions
- Fixing the Corporate Search Process
- Negotiating for a Win
- Recruitment Tips
- Hiring Millennials for Social Media Positions
- Life After PR – “Vicky’s Story”
- Life After PR – “Nathan’s Story”
- Life After PR – “Angela’s Story”
- Life After PR – “Greg’s Story”
- “Matthew’s Story”
Judith Cushman & Associates fills positions nationwide including Vice Presidents, Chief Communications Officers, Executive Directors and Directors in corporate, agency and additional professional settings. JC&A facilitates, manages and expedites the process, enabling the organization to make the best selection, saving time and adding value throughout the course of the search.
Success is achieved by setting clear objectives for the position, spelling out essential and desirable candidate specifications and evaluating cultural fit. The firm accepts retained searches from no more than 3 client organizations at any given time. JC&A has fulfilled every contract that has been awarded to the firm for more than two decades. Our track record is 100%.
Consulting services are offered both organizations as well as individuals. Companies find these contracts are significantly less costly than full search contracts and are solutions for specific situations.
Individuals seeking in-depth evaluations and counsel can define the scope of a project and know the amount is fixed. Generally, individual consulting is a 3-part program that can be authorized sequentially Once JC&A is engaged to complete a project and a budget has been established, there is no upward adjustment unless the scope changes. Services can be customized to meet client needs.
THE VALUES THAT DEFINE US
For the past 30 years, Judith Cushman & Associates has maintained an outstanding reputation in the industry. Here is what Ms. Cushman says about her work and values: “If we can anticipate client needs, we will meet them, even before a client requests our help.” “Solving a problem may involve a new direction and selecting a mix of services. Those services may involve specific consulting projects or a comprehensive search effort. Once a strategy is agreed upon, we focus on results.” “We will set deadlines and make every effort to meet them, even if it means more work and time for us. When we are conducting a search we are committed to identifying the most suitable candidates for a position, quickly and efficiently.”…
100% SUCCESSFUL TRACK RECORD
Judith Cushman & Associates has been in business for 30+ years, proudly accomplishing in the last 15 a 100% success track record fulfilling the terms of every contract undertaken by the firm.