JUDITH CUSHMAN’S BLOG
Where Communications Vice Presidents, leaders of departments and Senior Directors aspiring to those roles can read candid, unvarnished career advice.
For many years I have wanted to have a voice in the marketplace expressing my analysis and insights about career (and life) decisions. I started a blog in the spring of 2017 about career issues for Communications Vice Presidents, leaders of departments and Senior Directors aspiring to those roles. With more than 30 years’ experience filling these positions. I’ve interviewed, counseled and answered questions for thousands of outstanding and high potential professionals and wanted to share my insights and provide candid, unvarnished career advice.
This blog is about truth and what matters most to successful professionals. If my approach resonates with your values, we can work successfully together. You may contact me as you job hunt or when you are hiring a key executive for your team. Please email me at email@example.com
Shortly after I began blogging, I discovered I could serialize practically any subject. The most complex and recent topic was about transitions and “Life after PR” where I told the story of 4 successful, senior executives. They made brave decisions, or at least non-traditional decisions, that led to successful choices toward the end of their careers. It took almost a year of posts to describe their experiences and career paths.
To provide you with an easy way of reading about a topic that I serialized, I created the following in-depth articles. You may follow the link for each article to access a PDF for online viewing, printing or downloading.
- Life After PR Series – “Vicky’s Story” – How following her own instincts (not a plan with long term objectives) allowed her to achieve career success while balancing it with her home life.
- Life After PR Series – “Nathan’s Story” – How a passion for an industry turned into a top tier career track when all the right pieces fell into place. It wasn’t just luck.
- Life After PR Series – “Angela’s Story” – The profile of an exceptional woman, an entrepreneur, risk taker in the competitive space of high tech start-ups, who shares her perspective on success.
- Life After PR Series – “Greg’s Story” – Learn how “Greg” took a non-traditional career turn that led in a direction he couldn’t have imagined and it’s all good.
- A Walk in the Park, Covid-19 and Black Lives Matter – Why Now? Why did the country and the world explode over the clear injustice and death of one black man? – A personal reflection by Judith Cushman.
- Millennials – What could be so challenging about hiring milleninals for a Social Media Leadership Role? How about giving up fun for serious management challenges? This article addresses what it takes for Millennials to transition into Social Media leadership positions.
- Fixing a Broken Corporate Search Process – compilation of 10 blog posts to help CCOs hire outstanding direct reports more efficiently and gain control of the process.
- Negotiating an Offer – What are the key questions to ask about specific terms and benefits?
- Negotiating for a Win – How can negotiation for more money and benefits end up as a positive experience? These 9 blog posts should improve your negotiating skills so everyone wins.
- Resumes – Why are resumes so hard to get right? Here are 11 blog posts to help you create an effective resume.
- Annual Hiring Cycle – advice on planning a job search using the annual hiring cycle.
- Risk Factors in Transitions – advice for quantifying and calculating the risk factors in considering a job offer.
- Compensation Series – advice for analyzing and documenting your total compensation package.
- The “Ah-Ha” About Resumes – advice on resumes for Managers transitioning to EVPs.
- How can you write a “C” level resume about the intangibles that make you an “A” level candidate? – advice on resumes directed specifically to VPs to explain intangibles factually.
If you are interested in reading individual posts, you can use the following links to view all posts about a specific topic or in a series.
- Effective Resume Writing
- How to Reduce Risk in Career Transitions
- Fixing the Corporate Search Process
- Negotiating for a Win
- Recruitment Tips
- Hiring Millennials for Social Media Positions
- Life After PR – “Vicky’s Story”
- Life After PR – “Nathan’s Story”
- Life After PR – “Angela’s Story”
- Life After PR – “Greg’s Story”
- “Matthew’s Story” – A Senior Director’s Job Search